The governance section of the GCSE English and maths package includes a video resource to help governors* understand the agenda informing GCSE maths and English planning. It outlines the:
- funding changes related to GCSE English and maths.
- challenges faced by organisations planning and implementing new GCSE provision.
Abingdon and Witney’s eCPD module – GCSE Capability Staffing Toolkit for Governors – facilitates an in depth investigation in to these areas. A governor taking on the responsibility or interest in English and maths with no specific prior knowledge, would find the toolkit both informative and relevant.
Once board members have a clear understanding of the GCSE English and maths policy agenda and the challenges organisations will face in implementing it, the following resources and links should be useful for their governing role:
- More detail about Government policy.
- A flowchart, developed by the AoC, explaining 16-19 funding for maths and English.
- Suggested discussion items for a governors’ meeting.
- The Annual Report of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Education, Children’s Services and Skills 2015/16, highlighting effective practice in delivering English and maths.
There are also some Ofsted examples/ quotes related to (GCSE) maths and English governance.
You can access general governance support from the following organisations:
Association of Colleges (AoC)
Association of Employment and Learning Providers (AELP)
The Education and Training Foundation
*This term includes governors, trustees, directors and councillors and covers the complex range of governance arrangements in place for the further education and skills sector in FE, ITP and ACL providers.